Accountability -- Day 7

A funny thing happened on my way to writing this blog post. As I opened my laptop I suddenly realized how I was going to resolve a plot problem that has been bedeviling me for days as I lurch along writing my novel. You didn't know I'm writing a novel? 

Formally decided or not, working on my novel has become part of my demanding accountability of myself. First draft due (to me!): July 14, 2016. A significant date in my running life, BTW--in 1996 it was the date the barricades fell and I ran my first marathon. At the time I was stunned to realize it was one of the happiest days of my life. I have never changed my mind about that designation. Of my life! Whew.

Lying on my back doing crunches I caught this cloud sneezing. Seems like it had inhaled some seagulls and had to get them out! To better see the see the seagulls, click on the image.

Today probably isn't one of the happiest days, but so far it's a good one. Last night before I went to bed, still exhausted from Saturday's run, I resolved to go only 3 easy miles today. Gotta confess that I usually consider 3 miles not a run at all. But I'm committed to doing a little racing this weekend and don't want wooden legs (I'd make a bad pirate, especially since I'm an A's fan).

What I did: Ran 3 miles total; jogged at a run-4-minute / walk-1-minute pace for the first 2 miles and then just ran the 3rd one. I stopped at the neighborhood park and did the same mini-strength workout I detailed on Saturday.  

When I did it: At about 10:15 am. How it felt: Good. Great, even. I have to tell you that when I first went out the door I was in the midst of a pity party. I can always tell that my state of mind is whiny when I check the outside temperature and put on a long-sleeved shirt even though it's 56 degrees and I know I'll get too hot. Boo, says the whiniest part of my brain. I won't be able to move fast enough or long enough to get hot on this sissy run. But I'm way too lame to go any farther. 

How it felt: You know what happened. I did warm up. I saw Mt. Diablo shimmering in the distance, heard the birds quarreling in a tree, and smelled the possibility of rain in the high clouds. Rating for the run: 8.0.

Photos: If I can remember, when I'm out and about and trying to keep myself in the moment, I'll look to both the sky and to the ground as well as looking ahead. The subject to the right wasn't actually on the ground but on the ancient bench I like to do wimpy pushups on. I thought that these knots looked like a satellite photo taken in the middle of Nevada desert country. Yes, I'm a California girl, but at my core, home means Nevada to me. If That sounds like a line from a song, that's because it is.

Keep on running!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?