Accountability -- Day 4

First order of business: The 15-minute timer has been goosed up to 20 minutes. It's been taking me that long to write anyway, and I can't think of any reason to keep pretending it's 15. 

What I did: So far today -- I got up and thought about doing an easy 3-miler before keeping my training appointment at 10:30. As we know, thinking is not doing; I had breakfast and went back to take a little catnap (with cat in attendance, of course) for 30 minutes. Catnap ended when cat walked on my chest. Then, I walked over to the gym in the sprinkling spring rain. The distance to the gym is 4/10 mile, which hardly qualifies the walk as a warmup, so when I arrived I got on the rowing machine for 10 minutes. Heather found me anyway, even though the rower is partially hidden, so she started me in on an upper-body workout. Here's what I did:



Explication of some of the above. I did the entire list three times:

DB = dumbell (the instrument, perhaps also the user)

Smith machine = the sissy bench press apparatus, by which a 30-pound bar slides up and down in a track so that with the twist of the wrists a sissy user can rest the full weight of what she's supposedly lifting. I "benched" 40 pounds today. I know, impressive. Uh, yeah.

"Steering wheels" = a wrist and arm twisty move accomplished by holding a weight disk with arms extended directly in front of the chest, grasping it on both sides like a car steering wheel, and pretending you're going fast around alternating hairpin turns. It can be painful enough that a user unintentionally makes the shrieking sound of a car going fast around alternating hairpin turns.

The workout lasted a half hour, which I followed by engaging in a fairly painful stretching and foam-rolling interlude before going next door to the juice bar and having a protein smoothie. 

When I did it: 10 am, a time that this usually early bird normally thinks is a bit late in the day. But today? No such luck. 

The "where" was that steel and rubber fortress of pain, Platinum Fitness in Pleasanton. Oh, just kidding. Of course it's a beautiful place. Heh heh.

How it felt: Better than I could have anticipated. I'd say a 7.5. Trainer Heather is so good at what she does.

Photos: Well, the workout sheet above is a photo, and so is the bonus image of the catnapping cat, also above. Yes, it's the one and only Danny Mo. Zzzzzz.

That's it! Keep on running --


Ps. Of some interest in the world of fitness facts is that yesterday my wrist tracker read 27,000 + steps by the end of the day. Today I'm at 8,133 and I haven't even run. (I get no stepping credit for bench pressing a third of my body weight.) It's mid-afternoon now, so I trust I'll break 10,000 by bedtime. Sounds good to me, but as my favorite nephew has pointed out, mere steps aren't enough--regular intensity of movement and conscious judiciousness in eating are also key in determining how physically fine you remain. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?