One More Resolution


I read somewhere that January is the new December, meaning that you have a month to adjust to the notion of keeping your resolutions before you must get stern with yourself and demand accountability. I'd like to expand this concept to include a grace period for making resolutions--who's ready to set intentions in concrete after contemplating the whole idea for only a few days (usually Dec. 26 to Dec. 31)?

In that spirit, I offer my third resolution (intention? goal?): I resolve to keep moving. Yes, my knee is gimpy and so is my hip. Yes, the weather is on and off. Yes, I go back to work Monday. But I don't want that to stop me. Sometimes in this space I talk in euphemisms and even polite platitudes to keep from revealing some of the emotional rawness that plagues me now and again. So today I want to say what is in my head: I am definitely more than two-thirds through my life, which means I will die within the foreseeable future. And I suspect that after I'm dead I will find few opportunities to move around freely on this beautiful earth. (I may move around on some other plane, but speculating about that is a whole 'nother post.)

Between the now (life) and the then (death), I want to enjoy what the world has to offer. And all that it has to offer is largely why I am such a tree hugger and an outdoor exercise junkie.
So one way or another, I resolve to keep on moving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?