TRAINing

Who can resist a good pun? Or better yet, a bad pun? Not I, for sure.

This morning I went out on my bike to run an errand so I thought I'd extend the ride for fun and for exercise by heading south to Emeryville and then cutting back through Aquatic Park on my way home. I got as far as the railroad crossing at 65th Street, where I encountered this rather sinister looking freight train at a standstill on the tracks. These black tank cars stretched for as far as I could see up and down the track. Luckily I'm not paranoid enough to have dwelt too long on what they might contain, but nevertheless I flipped a u-ey (yewee? you-ee? eweiee??) and headed east in search of an alternate route. I finally headed uphill, ending up at the Berkeley Library, downtown. Sometimes I could swear it's the library, not Rome, to which all roads lead. Anyway, I got in a bit of a bike ride (maybe five or six miles) and as a bonus scored a fresh book to read.

This update on my current state of not-especially-training is brought to you by my Bowflex, which was Z's Christmas present to me, a finger-touch heart monitor/watch. Thanks to my favorite nephew for showing me his Bowflex last time he was in town. I haven't figured out all the bells and whistles on mine yet, but was able to ascertain that I arrived at the library with a heart rate of 90 bpm. This beautiful blue gadget has many functions. Among other things, it's a watch, a chronometer, and a pedometer. Pretty sure it has a popcorn popping mode if I can just find it. At any rate, while I am not running I'm sure I'll enjoy tuning into my heart rate as I do other activities that are fine except for their not being running. No, I'm not whining. Much.

Okay, okay. I just took a few moments out here (real-time action at Running Commentary central!) to call Kaiser and schedule an appointment for next week. My gimpy knee has been sore on and off for years, but this time the pain seems more persistent than usual. Some physical therapy may be in order. Just so no one tries to get me to stop running.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Keep posting stuff like this i really like it
Sunshine said…
I keep deleting anonymous but he keeps showing up.

Anyway.. about your run.. I'm not really familiar with the area.. but I think there is a pedestrian bridge over the tracks at the train station in Berkley. Is that anywhere near where you were?

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?