I Want to Share Something

What I want to tell you is that I had a miserable weekend. Despite providing the aid station for the final LMJS Oakland Running Festival training group on Saturday and then on Sunday having my best post-injury run since January (5 miles of more-run-than-walk!), I spent way too many of my 48 hours being anxious, crabby, depressed, and sad.

I tell you this because I woke up this morning, Monday, and said to myself, NO MORE. There's only one person who can help me not wallow in these feelings, and there she is in the mirror. So I decided to take the example of one of my favorite bloggers and try something new. She says, and I've read it other places, that learning a new habit takes three weeks. So what if I made a conscious effort for 21 consecutive days to practice opening my heart and being grateful for my place in the universe? I could do this by being open to others, being open to nature, and being accepting of the what-is rather than pining for the what's-not.

Here's the punch line: I opened my Facebook page this morning, and here's what I saw.


I'm naming this image "Day 1." Peace out, friends.


Comments

Merrilee said…
Elaine, my heart goes out to you, but I'm glad your heart is going out to you, as well. I, too, have been feeling crabby and out of sorts and feeling sorry for myself. And jealous of other people, which does not feel good!

You are a great example for me -- I now stop and take photos when I run, something I never did before. So I'm hoping I can be brave enough to follow your example this time, too, and dare to be happy.

I also need to follow your example and blog more. It would be a better use of time than wallowing in self pity!
Elaine Merrill said…
Thanks, Merrilee. Your blog inspires me!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?