Where I Am

Here's where I am. Slowly learning to love my new city.

Long time no blog. Welcome back, all three of you!

Where I am running-wise is injured and very cranky. This is no new condition for me. After averaging between 600 and 1,000 miles per year for decades, on this day, if I can get in 4 more miles, I'll finally have run 200 miles in 2018. Boo hoo.

But today's post is not all whine and jeeze. It's kind of a giggly day because I get to say "fartlek." Hee hee. Anyway, this morning, I had the fartlek eureka moment. I finally went to a sports medicine M.D. a couple of days ago, and she showed me my recent MRI. Scary to see my glute tendon as a stark white bulge between some big muscles--yup, tendonitis. 

The nice thing about sports docs is that they hardly ever tell you it's essential that you stop running immediately, but ONLY for 6 months. This doc, who is a joy, prescribed some therapy she thinks will help, and also told me not to stop run-walking as long as the affected area didn't get too sore during the outing.

So this morning I put on my running clothes (in itself a comforting action) and headed out the door with my Gymboss set for 30-second intervals. I decided to walk 60 seconds and run 30, then repeat, just to minimize how much impact I was subjecting my tendon to. After about .75 mile, I started feeling the familiar pain in the butt (almost as fun as saying fartlek). That was when fartlek inspiration struck. What if I did some alternative activities, activities that kept my heart rate up but were low impact? So I did. I ran for 30 seconds and then spent the following 60 seconds playing. I skipped. I did carioca. I jogged backward. I teetered like a balance beam athlete on low walls and high curbs.

Heartbeat: up. Spirits: up. Felicitous ending to workout: A large flock of white pelicans lifted off from Touchstone pond just as I loped by. First outing with no discernible down side in a long time!

Moving whimsically through the playground of my golden years Uh, yeah.


Keep on running, y'all!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?