Day 9 -- The Good, the Bad, and the...Whatever

I'm finding that blogging every day is becoming more difficult as I progress. It's starting to feel rather precious and self-involved. Rather contrived. I mean, who cares about the details of my days? It feels like Facebook only with endless space.

Oops, the above was the bad. Maybe I should have started with the good. And there is good. For one thing, it has me writing every day, something I've intended to do approximately forever. I am good at honoring my commitments, and I have committed to 21 days, so that's what I'll do. It's up to you whether you want to stick with me while I do it.

The "whatever" part is the subject matter. I think a lot about potential subjects, but really, once I'm here I just skim whatever's floating on the surface of my brain and deposit it in this space. Some days that gray-matter skin is more interesting than others.

Running! Wow, it's taken me three paragraphs to get to the ongoing theme of this blog. Lucky for me that I believe life itself is running, so anything I come up with is running related, right? You've seen those T-shirts that say "Baseball Is Life"? Close, I say, very close, but no cigar.

So. This morning I ran 4.5 miles before the sun came up. Not to whine, but I'd just as soon the sun would come up a little earlier. Like an hour earlier. But the air was chilly and fresh--lovely! I wore my rain jacket but soon had to peel it off because I got too warm, and the rain was more like a mist, anyway.

Because I've been thinking about trees lately (hasn't everyone been thinking about beautiful trees, just coming into leaf, dancing in the sun and the rain? And if they haven't, why not? Don't tell me there are better things to think about, because there aren't), I made it a point to pay homage to some great ones this a.m.


Here's the one up the street that is still waiting in the cold and the dark for its buds to open and its leaves to grace its barren branches. This tree has been my friend for 29 years. Today I photographed it, dark be damned, and told it that its time to wake up is almost at hand.

Once you become open to the idea of trees, you see them everywhere. They've probably been there all along, you just weren't thinking about them. It's like not being aware that you're surrounded by magic wands. Just try laying your hand on a tree, and like magic, you'll feel good.


I didn't touch the palms along the Embarcadero in SF this morning as I walked to work, from the bus terminal to the office, but we waved at each other, and they shook their mop-tops at me. I've been growing my own hair out for a few months, and after I'd been walking in the rain and wind for a while, I looked a lot like these palms.

I have a feeling that you may be seeing some more tree photos before we get to Day 21.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?