Day 10 -- Testing the Commitment

Wouldn't you know that the day after I brag about being good at keeping commitments that I wouldn't get to this blog until I've reached the end of a long day and am perilous close to a vegetative state. Whew.

One reason for my fatigue is that I was up pretty late (for me) last night going to the annual meeting of an Oakland A's season ticket group I belong to. A large-ish group of us (all men except lucky me) get together and divide up six full-season tickets across 80 games. The seats are good, the bidding is courteous, and it's a fine tradition. It takes a while, though. And last night the pouring rain never let up, which made the drive both to and from the host's house a bit of an adventure. All worth it--baseball is back and isn't going anywhere until late October. I do love it so.

Re. the task at hand: The commitment I'm testing is my agreement with myself to stay in the now, to stay positive, and to record my day-to-day experiences as I try to stay cognizant of what's real in my world versus what I've conjured up in my funny head. (It is a funny head. It takes an extra-small hat size, which doesn't make sense given the prodigious amount of brains I possess.)


All I could come up with in the photo department today was another tree shot. But it is a real tree. Credit where credit is due, credit to both the tree and to me.

This domesticated animal of a tree is the opposite of Day 9's floppy-haired palms, but it has its own presence. Note the string of lights wound around its neck, er, trunk. It reminds me of a poodle, what with its pompadour and jeweled necklace. But it has some panache (check out the rebel leaf flare above its left ear). And I'm sure it is contributing oxygen by the pound to the atmosphere--we exchanged respiratory gases as I walked by it, and I dipped my head in acknowledgment.

You tell me where a post that has just used the phrase "respiratory gases" can go from here. I'm alone in the house right now, and I'm laughing out loud.

On the fitness front: I didn't run today, but did lumber up the 437 Filbert Steps that lead to Coit Tower. It took me 8 minutes 29 seconds up and 8 minutes 10 seconds down. Along the way I thanked as many plants and trees as I reasonably could. There are so many of them along that lovely and vertical pathway. I get more from that 17-minute stair climb than I do from an hour-long nature program on TV. I feel so blessed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?