Catching Up (Again)

For days I have had a post about gear--written to follow up on my stated intention of 1/10 to write about specific running-related topics--ready to paste here. But busy-ness, self-created though it is, keeps getting in my way!

So today I'm going to post my thoughts on my running duds. But first, an small get-you-up-to-speed detour.

  • Wednesday evening I had a terrific fast 4.87-miler (mapmyrun.com gives me exact distances--yay!) in SF. The sky was filled with high clouds, which were focusing the setting sun like a spotlight on various random areas. Specifically Alcatraz, seen in the above photo taken from the Muni Pier.
  • That same evening I worked until 7:30. When I got back to Berkeley I was a bit toasted and so rode myself into a small bike crash--slapped handlebars with a parked bike and ended up draped over a handrail, much to the detriment of a couple of left-side ribs. I'm OK, but am whining a bit and skipping two runs that I had penciled in as to-do-for-sure. Grr. Plan to run this weekend, and will post about how it goes.

Subject change: Here is the promised info about gear, a.k.a. my random thoughts.

I’m always curious to see what other runners don when they go out a-left-righting. I’ve concluded that sartorial choices are determined in large part by whether a runner tends to run (pun intended) hot or cold and also by how long it takes said runner to go from being cold to being hot.
I tend to heat up fast. So how do I dress? Let’s take it from the bottom up.

Shoes: For at least the last ten years of my running career I’ve worn mainly Sauconys. I buy whatever cushioned model they’re offering at the time I need new shoes; right now I’m on my fourth pair of the model Hurricane X. These are my shoes of choice, for all kinds of terrain and weather. They fit like a dream, which means that sometime very soon the company will discontinue them. Running shoes are like cars in this way—they get redesigned frequently in the name of “improvement”—me suspects that the improvement the shoe companies have in mind is to the interior of their wallets.

Socks: Also for at least the last ten years, I have covered my feet with running socks from DeFeet. Here again, I wear the same brand in all kinds of weather (could explain why my toes went numb when I ran in the freezing rain last Fri.). I’m saddened to note that in recent years DeFeet has increased the number of models that cover only my anklebone and decreased the number of models available in the longer style. Times are tough all over, this I'll give them, and using less material probably helps improve their bottom line (even though it doesn’t do much for my lower extremities).

Tights: I am aware that an amazing array of tights is available to the interested runner. Alas, I’m not interested in replacing my 15-year-old black stretchies for any of the new and high-priced models. I do usually run hot, going from cold to hot in approximately a mile, so wearing tights isn’t something I do often here in Berkeley. When I do put them on, my old reliables are, well, sufficiently reliable. Gotta admit they’re a bit saggy, but I just can’t see shelling out $30 and upward for the new when old is still working. A quick look online shows me I could spend $53.99 on something called a Transit Woven Pant. Specially designed for running under the BART tracks, maybe? But for now, I'm still a lycra-plus-spandex gal.

Shorts: Because I have scoliosis my spine curves westward at the waist, making that part of me bigger around than your average girl's. So I buy men’s medium-sized shorts for waistband comfort. This means the pants are usually pretty modest in cut (read baggy—is there a theme emerging here?). My current faves, in which I’ve probably run a couple of thousand miles to date, are from Nike and feature a nifty waistband pocket in the small of my back. Perfect for my cell phone!

Underpants: Standard girlie knickers. I can’t get into the naked-in-the-pantliner mode. ‘Nuf said.

Bra: I’ve been wearing the same running bra on every run for a long, long time (ten years?). I’ve bought many others during that time, but find none of them is as comfortable and supportive as my old Champion with the wide (and adjustable) straps. My main complaint is that most new bras after an hour or two dig divots into my shoulders. If anyone has any leads on comfortable, supportive running bras (with wide straps), please pass your tips on to me.

Shirt: In warm weather I wear any one of three or four “dry-release” short-sleeved running shirts I’m pleased to own. When it gets cooler I go to long-sleeved models (I have an orange one that’s medium heavy and a blue one that’s light). If cooler gives way to cold I go to a short-sleeved number under one of the long—and from there to a sweatshirt over both. I don’t have a “technical” running jacket. Just haven’t felt the need to spend money on one, living as I do in a pretty temperate climate. The only downside to my parsimonious behavior is that when I get caught in the rain I get really, really wet. But do you know what? Unless the rain is freezing, I don’t find being wet while running particularly unpleasant. Rain is cleansing; rain is my friend. Not being anywhere near made of sugar, I don't melt.

Glasses: I recently spent a ridiculous amount of money on a pair of prescription Harry Carey sunglasses with photosensitive lenses (see Jan. 11 post). I think I love them.

Hat: I’ve tried many times over the years to wear a hat or a visor, and have given up—invariably by mile 2 my head has gotten so hot that I've ended up bareheaded with an annoying object (a hat) flapping against my back where I've tucked it in order to get it home with me. Hat? I just don’t wear one any more. So sue me.

That’s about it. My criteria for accepting pieces into my everyday running wardrobe are only three, but they are strict:

  1. They must not dig, chafe, gouge, or overheat any part of me.
  2. Any holes or other signs of prolonged wear they've suffered must be (fairly) inconspicuous.
  3. They must not make any noticeable dent in my budget (shoes are excepted here, of course).
I'm thinking my next topic will be eating to run. It will probably surprise you to learn how many nutritionally bankrupt foods are on my list of favorite foods.

Have a great weekend, and don't use my bike-riding skills as your model!


Comments

Sunshine said…
Will take more time to read your Gear post tomorrow.. but wanted to say now...
May you wake up tomorrow with the least possible aches and scrapes from your bike event.
Elaine Merrill said…
Thanks. I feel better today than yesterday!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?