Me and Ma

I'm thankful for the passage of time, which has (paradoxically) allowed me to remember more. Specifically to remember more good things about my mother than I was able to during the time directly following her death. Her last three years were hard on her and hard on me, and it's taken time to put them in perspective. She lived to be 94! She lived a long, complicated, unspeakably rich life! Should I use another exclamation point? Surely the memory of her evokes many (!).

Here we are, she and I, in front of our house on Bon Rea Way, in Reno, circa 1966. Me: 19 years old; Mom: 55.

Sometimes I still get the impulse to call her on the phone and ask her a question about cooking, or about literature, or about travel--she was an expert on all these subjects. Sometimes I just want to tell her how cute our cat is, or how funny Z was last week when he and I spontaneously started talking in rhymes. She loved animals. She loved wordplay. Or I want to describe the run I took when Z and I were in Carmel. She was an athlete, a legendary swimmer. So much of who I am I owe to her good genes and to the good examples she set.

Comments

Sunshine said…
The picture looks so much like one that might have been taken on the street where I grew up.
Mom died 30 years ago and still it occurs to me to call her to share something.
Thanks for the precious remembering.
Bob said…
Nice post and picture. How cool is it to not only be part of that gene pool, but to welcome a new member to it?
Unknown said…
That's a true beauty of a photograph/post. I'm definitely glad that joyous memories with Grandma are finding you more often these days. I love how she used to sigh contentedly, and remember well her grace. Your expression of experiences make an impressive impact, thank you. Also digging Bob's input, not long from now he too will be a Grand.
Anonymous said…
see my video site -

[url=http://trailfire.com/lexapro] information about the drug lexapro [/url]

http://trailfire.com/lexapro
[url=http://trailfire.com/lexapro] lexapro weight gain [/url]

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back