Change

How funny it is to say "I feel like my life has somehow changed." Funny because of course it has. Change is what my life--what anyone's life--consists of. My closely held illusion that everything in my little sphere remains the same is just that: an illusion. All the same, one reason I haven't posted for a while is that my world feels a bit unexplored lately.

On April 1, I started eating a more or less vegan diet. Somewhere around that same time I started running with a women's team from my running club (see my last post). These are two specific, identifiable changes in my life, so it's easy for me to attribute all other manner of changes to them. It strikes me, however, that they may be the symptoms rather than the causes of a general shift I'm feeling in the nature of my existence.

Abstract enough for you?? I would be more clear for you if I were more clear myself. All I know is that as I get older and start to believe in my own mortality more than was the wont of my younger self, the more I tend to appreciate the impermanence of my body and its small presence in this large world. And I do mean appreciate--there's something very freeing about really understanding that my life is not open-ended.

* * * * * * * * *

This past weekend Z and I went to Carmel. Many aspects of our brief stay were pleasing; not the least of these was that I was able to run straight up Ocean Ave. from the beach at the bottom to Junipero St. at the top without stopping. I attribute that to my weekly workouts with the team.

Many thanks to Z's sister for lending us her darling cottage.

Thanks also to the great women I've been running with for showing up at the track last night. We warmed up and cooled down on the track, but our run took us to the hills. Phew!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back