Busted

The short of it is, the X-rays showed that at least one of my ribs is fractured. (And a couple more of them are darned sore.) I'm doing my best, which is actually pretty good, at accepting this forced change in my approach to my daily active life.

It seems serendipitous that my mandatory running-less state, in effect for at least another week, has coincided with A) my stated intent to write about nutrition and B) my involvement with Dr. Small's Memory Prescription, and specifically the dietary guidelines it offers. I tell you up front that I am following his 14-day program only loosely. But I am honoring the spirit of the thing, that is, I'm performing actions every day that are designed to improve my existing practices in exercising, pursuing mental agility, reducing stress, and eating. I feel as if I'm even with or even ahead of his targeted readers in the exercising and pursuing mental agility departments, but right there among the the challenged when it comes to reducing stress and eating. In the four days I've been following the prescription I have made more progress on the eating front than on the stress reduction (for sure!).

I still eat with about the same frequency as before, but the quality of what I'm ingesting has improved remarkably. For a midmorning snack, for instance, I can have a 6-ounce cup of low-fat yogurt with a little fruit, along with a cup of green tea. Not my usual sugar bomb of a Quaker cereal bar and a cup of black tea. I'm going to think about how the fare he recommends squares with how I normally eat.


I say I'm ahead of the game when it comes to exercising, but it's a bit of a challenge to maintain during this time when I'm not running. Had an inspiration this evening--I don't belong to a gym but can do more that walk on the horizontal. I did just that early this evening as I took a break from working a leetle overtime here in the big city.

I didn't jump on the Stairmaster, just on the Vallejo Street steps (up) and the Filbert Street steps (down), which are as close to vertical as steps are likely to get. It was a beautiful evening. I was able to breathe a bit heavily. Yay. And the paths, the gardens, the various topical quirks indigenous to the flanks of Telegraph Hill were all the scenery I needed.


I went cautiously (it wouldn't do to get injured as I recover from an injury), but hope to return again soon and be a bit more aggressive.

It is now 1:10 am. The last time I was up this late I was the mother of cranky infants. I need to quit this for now.

Comments

Bob said…
This is all good thinking. Some folks would curl up and moan; you've made lemonade. Very nice!
Gorgeous Nerd said…
Ouch, sorry about the ribs. It's good to see that you're still around, though.
Anonymous said…
I'm really sorry to hear about the fracture and hope you're not too sore.

The picture on this post was really nice. Seeing the table in the sunlight reminds me of the fun visits we've had to your part of the world. :)
Sunshine said…
Yes, lovely picture!
Have been following the saga of the painful ribs.. and awaiting the next chapter.
Wishing you healing, pain-free, .. and hey, ribs can heal fairly fast, can't they?
But I suppose you have to give up the early May marathon because there won't be time to adequately train? Anyway... healing wishes!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?