Yesterday's Gone

The theme for yesterday was Hello Darkness My Old Friend, as I did a 6.25-miler at 4:30 a.m. It was a fine one. No spectators offering advice, only one homeless person on Solano Ave. who looked at me and lamented, "You're working so-o-o-o hard!" What is there in an old broad running that makes people think they can say whatever pops into their heads. I just told him it wasn't hard at all -- and as I went by him I thought, "It's not half as hard as being out of shape, as not being able to catch my breath, as feeling lethargic and bloated -- ." But then, I'm crazy, so what would I know?

Today I took a sick day from work (speaking of lethargy). I wanted to loaf around, but first had to do a 4.5 miler. Love running when the sun is actually up! Even when it's in the fog, like today. There are a few blossoms beginning to star the skeletal trees, a few birds chirping as they scout real estate with nest-building in mind. Today's run was truly work. I don't usually go back-to-back days, but feel the need if I'm to get my average mileage up there so my endurance increases. When I got home I fell onto the bed and I believe my eyes closed for an hour. My brain wasn't there, so I can't say for sure. Before I did that I had my fave lunch of peanut butter and blueberry jam on a bagel, plus an apple and a banana.

Fuel: my favorite part of being a runner. Since I don't eat meat, and I know I need lots of protein, when I first get back from a run it is a treat to eat three or four large spoonfuls of either cottage cheese or yogurt. Within 15 minutes of stopping, and right out of the container. Licking my lips, licking the spoon. I want to write more about what I eat and why I eat what I do as a 59-year-old, non-meat-eating female runner. And I always love to hear about what others eat, and why -- tell me if you'd like. My downfall is sweets. Salty and savory foods are pleasant, but there are days that world peace ranks a distant second in my desires because donuts are taking up most of the available space in my desires department.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back