Account -- Ability, Day 6

What? You ask if this is still a running blog? The answer is yes, it is. There are people who say baseball is life. Although I love baseball (Go A's!!), I don't think it's unstructured enough to be a doppelganger of life. 

I think it much more likely that running is life, and life is running. Both require forward movement--try running or living backward full time and see how that works for you. Both happen in all kinds of weather. Both entail setting goals and then hitting or missing them, but continuing regardless. Both can go on for as long as there's breath in the body, although as the body ages the moving forward gets more difficult. But the motivated don't give in until running and living are both irrefutably over.




This rumination is just a lead-up to my insisting that even when I don't blog in this space about running, still usually in some metaphorical way, I do blog about running. Take today. I'm excited about doing a short work-out on the gym's new machine, the Air Runner by Assault Fitness. This clever device with a combined gentle name (Air Runner!) and military pedigree (Assault Fitness!) is nothing more than a motorless treadmill. It's a simple curved conveyer belt that responds instantly to a user's increase or decrease in pace. I think I love it--what a great alternative to the dreadmill.

But. When I'm run-walking on the road these days, I need to alternate walking stretches with short bursts of running. On the Air Runner I can go slow or fast, I can walk or run, I can just become motionless and stand there grinning at the marvel I'm standing on. Am I running? I vote yes. Does it matter, really, whether I'm "running" or "not running"? I vote no. But, hey, whatever. I'm gonna do it some more.

So keep on running or not running. Either is okay if you can continue to move forward as best you can, be it up giant mountains or down on soft dirt tracks or even on a clever machine that may feel like it runs to nowhere but really doesn't have to if you believe that life is running and running is life. 

Have a good day--a good SPRING day. (Picture your preferred emoji here.)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?