My Dad: October 11, 1907 to August 20, 1987


Here he is at five months old, already with a twinkle in his eye. He was the second of three boys.

Twenty-one years ago yesterday I lost my dad. Having him gone has been so different than I thought it would be.
Before I incurred it, I didn't understand the finality of my loss. For a while after he died I used to dream that I met with him and was relieved to find that he was still alive so I could get close to him in a way I had always wanted to.

I haven't had one of those dreams in years. Now when I think of him it is mostly without those earlier regrets and more with feelings of affection for the goodness that lived in him and of sadness for some of the challenges that life brought him.

And here he is with his new father-in-law. Photo taken around the time of my parents' wedding, which was September 4, 1934.


He sometimes seemed more able to express his love to his grandchildren than he could to his own three girls.


Requiescat in pace, RAH, husband, father, grandfather, poet, scholar.

Comments

Gorgeous Nerd said…
I'm sorry that I never really got to meet him, much less know him. All the time I got with Grama was such a gift.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?