Full Disclosure

If you've followed this blog at all, you may have noticed that it's never included a photo of me. Well, in the name of my new fresh-air resolution, my policy has changed.

I have to admit that I've secretly cherished an image of the running me as looking remarkably similar to Paula Radcliffe. Posting a photo of myself reveals that I am possessed of an incredibly fertile imagination. Sigh.

Anyway, that's me above--the (not quite) full monte. I was standing by the finish line after running a 31:30 5K for my leg of my running club's annual Couples Relay. My partner ran his leg a little more than six minutes faster than I did, but he was gracious about my turtleness. And it wasn't too turtley for me; I beat my last year's time by about 20 seconds, making this my best 5K time in at least three years. Since I, like many (most?) older runners, really see myself as my main competition, I was happy. See photo for the grin.

If I look wet, btw, it's because the race was run through passing squalls. I ain't afraid of no steenkin' squalls.

I've temporarily run out of library books to read, and so am revisiting one of the classics from my own bookshelf, this one by George Sheehan. I only had to get to page 5 to find one of his innumerable quotable passages:


"Finally, running has given me the chance to be a saint, to be a hero. Like everyone else, I want to be challenged. I want to find out whether or not I am a coward. I want to see how much effort I can put out...what I can endure...if I measure up. Running allows that."

The sun is out now, but I'm off to work. I'll run in the morning --

Comments

Sunshine said…
We have started some marathons in misty rain... but no pouring rain.

Great picture, by the way. It is fun to see you. We didn't get a very good one at the Av.
Liz Moore said…
That is a great photo. I hope I look as good once I get to the point where I'm actually running races...

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?