I Live for the Sun

...which is making a longer appearance every day.

Yesterday I ran the running club's Fourth Sunday Run, and chose the 10-K (you can also choose a 5-K or a 15). I ran my best time since 2002, which tells me I'm still on track here. I told one person I'm "kinda" training for Avenue of the Giants, and when I heard how wimpy that sounded I told the next person that I am training for it, no kinda about it. I'm planning a 14-miler for next Sunday, and feel that here, on Monday, I have already to begin to psyche myself up for it.

Running a good 10-K is a real challenge, I feel moreso that running a 5 or a 15. In a 5 you can pretty much blast the whole way, although you'll be thoroughly trashed when you finish. In a 15-K you have to take the first third easy, the middle third stepped up, and the final third so as hard as you can after already doing 6 miles. But a 10-k doesn't divide up that easily. I did the first mile in 10:47, and did negative splits (I think) from that point on, but I was constantly torn between holding back for later and just putting the hammer down. Around mile 4.5 I felt like just ramping it up, but knew better. I probably took it too slowly, since I wasn't nauseous at the end. No, tha't not a joke.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back