SNAFU

Yesterday was one to forget. An annoying clogged bathroom drain morphed into a plumbing meltdown that may take gazillions of dollars to remedy. We find out the worst next Tuesday when the pipe doctors show up with their mobile operating van.

Decided to take a nice bike ride out to El Cerrito to calm my nerves. Of COURSE I had a flat tire by the time I got to Trader Joe's. At least there's a sporting goods store in that neighborhood, so I bought a patch kit and then called Z, who made like the calvary and rode on over to rescue me. Once we got home he used the patch kit on the tire, so once again I gots wheels. A handy man is a joy and a wonder.

This morning Z and I went to Lake Chabot for a "fun" run that our club had scheduled with another local club for masochists. Z ran nine miles and I did about 7.5, which puts me over 20 for the week. My so-called training schedule for now consists of marking the calendar with target mileage each week and then praying a lot that somehow I can run that far. "Over 20" made it -- good portent for the New Year.

It was a lovely, lovely run. Lake Chabot is a chunk of Eden that has somehow avoided being swallowed by the urban monster known as Hayward that surrounds it. There were ducks and hawks and puddles, and lots of sunlight being basked in by fools such as I. And at the end there was a picnic table laden with the most decadent imaginable spread: cookies, donuts, cakes, muffins, pumpkin bread, tarts -- oh yes, and a lonely bunch of bananas for the fruit course. Have I ever mentioned that one reason I run is that I love to eat? Consider it mentioned.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back