It's So Easy to Fall in Love

Actually, it's easy to fall in love; the trick is to stay in love (so far so good for me and Z). For me the song today is, it's so easy to run 5 because it's not 14! Hit the road this morning, and my feet and their resident toes only complained a little. The moon was somewhere on the other side of the world, but the stars were winking at me.

As I ran I thought about the guy I spoke briefly with Sunday, and realized that not only was his advice unsolicited, it was wrong. Landing on your heels doesn't make for an effortless stride! It's best to land midfoot and then roll easily to the forefoot and push off mightily. Some runners are natural toe-strikers (you see sprinters doing that a lot), but most of us land pretty flat-footed.

Don't know why I'm giving that dude so much space in my mind. Probably because I'm largely self-trained and often think there must be more technique to my sport than just performing the never-ending left-right. I do read a lot (we subscribe to the two big-name running magazines), but rarely come across articles on training or form that gift me with any "aha!" moments. To be a runner, the deal is that -- surprise -- you need to run. That's the main training tip I believe in, the only one I can uniquivocally say is true. Addendum to that tip: you need to run a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back