Happy 2006

Was able to run December 31, a 6-miler out to the end of the BART path, past Del Norte station. Ran in the afternoon, which isn't my first choice (give me the a.m. any day). My legs felt heavy and spastic, but otherwise it wasn't a bad run. Did my version of the Jeff Galloway run-walk method, walking for a count of 45 every 15 minutes. I figure I went 10 miles in 58 minutes. This left me half a mile short of my written goal for the week, but did bring me to 708 miles for the year. Not bad for an old broad.

Had many brilliant thoughts as I ran, but, as often happens, two days later they are gone. Heck, two hours later they were gone. All right, it was two minutes. As I ran I tried to stay in the moment and appreciate the experience -- a little hard to do for long stretches, but still very pleasant. It was a puddly day, which was why I was running in the p.m. rather than the a.m. I like slaloming around the puddles, seeing the world in each one, miniature and upside down. I saw many birds wheeling high up in the gray skies -- they were mostly so far up that without my driving glasses on I couldn't tell what kind they were. Seagulls? Pigeons? Crows?

A little funny that I need my driving glasses but that I gave away my car last year. For the most part I love not having a car. Walking and bicycling suffice pretty well, and Z, my cherished mate, loans me his truck whenever I feel I really need four-wheeled transport. When I first came to the Bay Area and wrote to the Dolphin South End running club about possibly becoming a member, Walt Stack (until I figure out how to make links on this blog, you could Google him) sent me back a personal letter inviting me to join. He signed the letter "Keep Breathing," and I have treasured that advice ever since. So I'm making it my New Year's resolution. If I can just do that, who knows what other exciting things may follow!

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back