The Portal

That's what this illuminated doorway looked like to me when I ran by it yesterday morning. Not the portal of "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here," but the portal of "Change Is Here and Turning Away From It Won't Save You So You Might as Barrel On Through the Door!" I saw it as a marker for this day, this remarkable day when, if only for one day, the optimists of our nation, sick at heart from years of fearing, face the future and bravely say, "Bring it on."

* * * *
I'm contemplating my own (minor) version of change in this blog. I want to remind myself and my readers that it is first and foremost a running-related blog. If some of my running activities have served sometimes as metaphors for other, more general human activities, well, that's just gravy.

So for a little while, until some other direction looks inviting to me, I'm going to focus on my running-related activities. I'm looking to the major mags for inspiration. They have to come up something to say about all different aspects of running, and they have to do it every month. (No wonder they sometimes end up looking silly--see, for instance, the big spread recently in Runner's World on the growing popularity of running skirts. Big yawn, I'm sorry to say--it should have been a sidebar.)

So what do the professionals turn to when it's time to get another issue on the stands?
Here are some common topics, in no particular order.
  • Nutrition
  • Gear
  • Strength training
  • Cross-training
  • Speed
  • Hills
  • Injuries
  • Favorite routes
  • History of running
  • Setting goals
  • Training for a race
In my years of running, I've developed some opinions about all of these topics, and because this is my blog, I can put present those opinions here if I want. The idea of corralling my thoughts enough to articulate my take on these various aspects of my sport is challenging.

Let me know if you have any other topic suggestions or what you think might be the best place for me to start.

Comments

Sunshine said…
Well, this seems like an especially good time for you to think about aspects of running... you are going to do the Ave in May, aren't you.
Anonymous said…
I plan to, although my current training level is a bit low for a May marathon.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?