Elaine Is Cool

That's what I thought "EC" stood for when I first saw this sign. Come to realize it means El Cerrito, as in the high school. I was at the track at said school this morning. By the time I was there the sun had risen and I was about halfway through the 8.25-mile hill run I had set out to complete before breakfast.

I've found that eight is about the maximum number of miles I can cover before I've had any real food. I did carry along a chocolate Clif Shot, of which I slurped up about three-quarters, but it wasn't the same as having Miniwheats and the trimmings (my favorite breakfast). Stopping at the high school was unplanned, but when I found the back gate above the track open, I was sucked in. The city opened this all-new school just recently, and I hadn't checked it out yet. It was suitably impressive (see below for a side view), if a bit fortress-like. It has been widely recognized for all its "green" features and, while I'm really tired of every entity you can think of touting its greenness, I can't fault a school district for getting on that bandwagon.
After I left the school I headed down to the BART tracks and took my regular route along the Ohlone Greenway home, stopping near Solano Ave. to do a few crunches and howl at the moon as it sailed above a wind-blown flag.

I ended up with 18 miles this week, one mile short of my training-plan goal. I'm working at keeping my mileage respectable--next week isn't looking good because I'll be in my hometown, the Biggest Little City in the World, and I hear the weather there at 6 am these days is, um, nippy.

I've run in Reno when there's been snow on the ground. I'm sure I've looked funny, bundled up in long underwear and sweats. I don't own any real cold-weather running gear--who needs it in Berkeley?

I'll let you know how it goes.

Also how the reunion of the five cousins goes--the first time in history my sisters' and my offspring will all be together. The big occasion is the bound-to-be-romantic nuptials of Bethany, also known as B.V. Donne, and her breathlessly handsome young man. Love is in the air--in January!

BTW, check out Bethany's dad if you like stories about beginning runners. He's mean and won't stop 'til he's lean! You can scrutinize his MapMyRun.com progress by scrolling to the bottom of his blog. I am learning MMR, but haven't reached the level of expertise that awaits me beyond my only mastered skill so far, the elementary-level task of making the darned map! If I ever rise figure out how to do more, I'll brag about it here.

Comments

Gorgeous Nerd said…
I thought I'd echo the "Elaine is cool" sentiment, even though everyone probably knows it already.

Also, I know I'm looking forward to seeing you for the Big Day, and I'm sure I can speak for everyone else on that front as well. I can't believe it's so close!
Bob said…
"Elaine is cool" is kind of like saying "Winter is cold". We all know it. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?