Power to the Paths and Paths to the People!

Here in Berkeley we like to chant slogans like the above.

I took this photo this morning on the homeward leg of my out-and-back 5-miler. For me it illustrates what I’ve believed for years: People want to be outdoors. They want to move their bodies. So much that if their government agencies don’t supply them with developed areas to perform said movement, they’ll create the areas themselves.

This is the northern end of the block between Francisco and Virginia streets and is part of the Santa Fe Right of Way. The city paved three blocks of the right of way and even installed lights (winter-morning runners are saying "yay!"), but hasn’t approved any further northward development. No matter—walkers, runners, and bikers daily perform their own development.

In other news: I haven’t updated you lately on my attempts to run as close to 20 miles per week as possible. That’s because getting close to 20 miles has remained impossible for the most part lately. I have managed to keep the level around 15 mpw, which, as the saying goes, is better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick. Last week I got up to 20.5, thanks in part to my commitment to run while I was in New England.

My body seems to be holding up well, considering what I ask of it, so yesterday as a "thank you" I hauled it over to my next-door neighbor’s and treated it to a massage. Yes, a wonderful, kind, skilled masseuse has moved in next door to us! I have been purring for 24 hours. I may have to rob a bank in order to go to her as often as I’d like, but that seems an entirely sensible thing to do when I consider the payoff.

This weekend I’m planning to do the 5 K at my running club’s monthly race. Then next weekend is the 10 K trail run. Is it legal to have this much fun? Probably more legal than bank robbing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?