Pushing (a Little)

Awoke this morning with a feeling of non-specific dread sitting on my chest (this is not an unprecedented event). Rolled over, blinked, and said aloud, "Say yes to this day." Got up, threw on my running clothes, and was out the door by 6:30.

I did my old 6-mile hill workout, which took me up Peralta almost to Colusa and then over to Solano before I wound my way north and back down the hill. I detoured through Memorial Field at the high school just for fun. Snapped a photo of the Little League snack booth, where I used to run the show along with my friend Diana. I wanted give the shack the official name of The Off-field Hit, but couldn't marshal any enthusiasm among the local baseball crowd.

Anyway. Today I had a good run and a good day. This afternoon I rode my bike up the hill and headed south to the haircut emporium. I realized I should be resting my legs, but also realized that I like to push myself to the edge of overdoing it. I prefer being a bit achy and tired to being over-rested.

Today's run put me over the 20-mile mark for the week, which means I'm definitely recovered from my marathon. I try not to dwell on how it will feel to me when I finally (inevitably) get too old to push. But that's the future, and now is--well, is this day, to which I pledged an affirmation. So here it is.

Comments

Sunshine said…
Shall we agree not to think about "too old" yet? Sometimes I am stunned in trying to realize how much life I have lived.
But state of mind can be a life-giving factor.. so we are off on a long run this afternoon.
You do so well: I am inspired.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?