From the Ground Up

Just a quick check-in today. I did a 10-miler this morning--am trying to decide whether to run the SF half-marathon on August 3. This study in grays is a photo of the sidewalk in front of a low stone wall up the street where I always stretch at the end of a run. I've been stopping here to stretch for, oh, say 20-plus years off and on--and have never once noticed the graceful pattern in the concrete. Hmmm.

My run today went really well, well enough to convince me that if I want to do a 13-mile race, even one with hills, I am close to ready right now. (Well, not this very minute, as I am currently full of peanut butter and jelly. Yum.)

Bonus photo: Marley, the cat who thinks he owns our house. We recycle our newspapers by putting them on the lower shelf of a kitchen bookcase. Marley thinks we're putting them there as a bed for him. I am allergic to cats, but he doesn't care. Notice he especially likes to sit on Tiger Woods. I think it's a feline thing.

Life has been busy lately, and so what is new. I still haven't abandoned all hope of living a simple life of running, reading, and working, all at a pace that encourages contemplation and meaningfulness. Hee hee, I crack myself up sometimes.

Recently I read A Primate's Memoir, by Robert Sapolsky. I liked it so much that I gave it to my son the psychiatrist to celebrate his completing his residency this week. My other son, the television hotshot, might also like this book, for reading on his upcoming trip to Kenya, where his company is traveling to do some on-the-ground filming and investigating
(proud mom slips in casual references to her brilliant progeny). The story of Sapolsky's research on baboons takes place mainly in Kenya, which makes this part of the blog entry running related by default. In the world of elite running, champions=Kenyans. Also, I mention reading the book as an example of an activity that takes me one small step closer to the elusive serene lifestyle.

Speaking of which, it is now almost 2:30, and I'd promised myself I'd be back at work by now. Not sure whether doing freelance work on a Sunday afternoon is in the spirit of peaceful living, but, alas, it is mandatory today. At least my blood is oxygenated and I'm probably capable of resisting the urge to nap for at least the next 20 minutes.

Comments

Sunshine said…
Thanks for the great Marley picture. We love him already.

Good job on keeping on running.

I was sad to see that the Av is abandoning the early starts. With chips and mats it should be possible to keep track of everyone.. and early start is encouraging for beginnners.. and old women like me.

Lovely picture at the top... And great Mom-bragging! Congratulations.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?