Now or Never


I guess that's what I'm thinking--now or never. If I don't run a marathon now, well, when will I? Am I saving it for five years from now? Funny, these are the questions I was asking myself when I was 49 years old and had never run a marathon before. I ended up training for and running the San Francisco Marathon on July 14, 1996 (Bastille Day), a date I've since regarded as one of the best days ever in my life.

BUT. Fast forward to March 27, 2011, on the streets of West Oakland about five hours into the Oakland Marathon. You'll see me, headed toward Lake Merritt at a glacial pace, staggering, limping, and moaning like I'd recently been dropped from a helicopter flying a thousand feet up. I was approaching the end of my ninth marathon, and let me tell you, it felt like I was actually approaching the end of my life as a healthy human.


On the course in Berkeley
For days, months, even, after Oakland, I could be heard saying, "That's it. I'm too old for this. No more marathons for me." It seemed the only sensible decision. And it probably was! 

So why am I doing this? For one thing, I've had my best running year in 2013 since that sad period of 2010 - 2011, a time when I was hurt for several separate month-long periods and just couldn't string together much in the way of consistent training--let alone consistent enjoyment. 

This year, last Saturday's race in my adopted hometown was my third half marathon. And four days after it, I'm feeling great. And for another thing, what kind of runner says, "I've run nine marathons and am content to let that stand as a the signature statement of my running career"? A lame runner, that's what kind! I need that big one-oh to stand as my legacy. (Forget one-oh for a minute; how about e-g-o?)

Anyhow, I'm signed up. I'll go to LA and stay with my kids and run the mean streets of la-la-land. All that stands between me and a triumphant finish to my marathoning saga is one minor detail: training. Yikes. Well, stay tuned. If my courage doesn't fail me, and my feets don't fail me either, I'll check in here now and then to let you know how it's going. And if courage and feets both malfunction, I'll let you know.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?