This Day




Maybe I should add some hygenic people food to my diet.


Today was a run day. If all I did was post in this space on every day I ran, I'd write a lot more than I do. I could just say, today I ran. 


Today I ran. I left the house about 5:45 am and did what I've come to call the EMX run, that is, the Elaine Merrill Express run. (Be it known that any context in which I pair me and the concept of speed is highly suspect. Which is to say, usually the pairing is done with gentle or not-so-gentle irony.)



It's an expressway, an out-and-back along Ninth Street, because it's long and straight and gives me the opportunity to shake off a bit of the rust and go a little faster than usual. Today I did 3 x 3 minutes at approximately my 10K pace and then 2 x 6 minutes just a hair slower than that. All this with the intention of running the LMJS Fourth Sunday Run 5K this weekend without beating myself into the ground. 


I might or might not have learned my lesson last month when I did the Marin 10K. After not racing at all and not even running fast at all since October, somehow I convinced myself that I could run all out for 6.2 miles and not feel any very lasting effects. Hmm. I was lucky that I didn't injure myself, but I did pay with two full weeks of debilitating fatigue. I couldn't figure out why I was so tired. Bad diet? Old age? Phase of the moon? How about, running as hard as I could for an hour after six months of swimming once a week and going out now and then for some gentle run-walking?



So. The fatigue has receded, and I'm interested in gently ramping up a bit. Sensibly. Cruising an expressway more like a turtle than a terror. Even stopping along the way to see some captivating sights and take a picture or three. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?