Star of Wonder, Star of Light

Winter is a dark time, no doubt about it. Which, oddly enough, makes it a time of light. These days I am back to running before dawn (jog/walking, really), and the salient feature of running through dark streets is the brightness of the lights. Surely the dead of December is what inspired the pagans (there's a prejudicial word for you) to celebrate with ceremonies of light.

The air has been so crisp and clear. I've been tempted lately to try to photograph seasonal lights--a bad idea when I'm armed only with a camera phone.


Monday early, after completing a fairly pain-free four miles, as I stretched at my favorite stone wall I was lucky to notice I was myself being noticed. Winter, a time for starry skies and inky black cats.


Also a time for the city to get dolled up in lights. For the first time in a long time, I feel a bit of Christmas spirit animating my outlook. Sleigh bells ring--am I listening?

I'll try to listen Saturday at the Jingle Bell Dash 5K. I'm running it with students in my club's beginning running class, and I can't wait. Brisk weather, jingle bells, budding new runners. Who could ask for more?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?