Fun in the Big City

Because I am now in San Francisco for the bulk of my day (of my life!), I am working on ways to fit in a run now and then. Doing this will become more and more of a challenge as the days grow shorter and the light heads south.

Yesterday around 6 p.m. I headed out the office door for a 5-miler. I don't know why my legs felt like lead for the first 2 miles, but they did. I was heading north, into the wind, which probably didn't help.
I took this from the end of the pier. I felt like a running tourist--or maybe just a running fool.

I ran up The Embarcadero to the end, out the SF Municipal Pier and back, and then up the hill on the path that leads to Fort Mason.
This was taken after I crested the hill. I ran around the grassy area before heading back down. A couple of years ago when I did this route I had to stop on the hilltop and rest!

Two years ago, when I ran this route fairly frequently, it seemed harder. For some reason the hill seemed much less ferocious last night than I remember it. At any rate, I got there and I got back and today feel no worse for the experience. This kind of modest improvement encourages me to keep on pushing myself.

Today, Friday, is a cloudy, rain-on-rain-off again kind of day. I did go out at lunchtime and do a small stair climb.
I stopped at the turnaround of my stair climb to take this photo. The building with the court on the roof is the SF Bay Club, the posh fitness club I visited earlier this week. I had thoughts of joining but then came to my senses. Do I need to spend mega-bucks right now for a gym? I remembered one of my mantras: To be a runner, you need to run. Not, to be a runner you need to take body-sculpting classes and lounge around in a pricey spa. Sigh. Look for me on the mean streets, then.

I'll let you know when I finally make it all the way up the staiea to Coit Tower. After four days of incremental increases, I feel like I'm on my way there. Would hate to injure myself by thoughtlessly climbing a jillion stairs when I'm not ready. I'm pretty fit for hills right now, but steep stairs require the use of some different muscles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?