Honey, I'm Home

The Food Part of this Post

The title of this post is intended to signal a confession: I'm not a full vegan. I've decided that while I won't actively seek to ingest honey, neither will I refuse to eat foods (mainly breads) that list honey as an ingredient. My Vegan Living for Dummies book contains many useful guidelines for converting to total veganism, but also encourages a person to be realistic about how stringent she chooses to be in pursuit of physiological and spiritual fidelity to vegan principles. I read the book as acknowledging that successful adherence to many (but not all) vegan principles is better than failed adherence to an extensive set of unbreakable laws.

The Running Part

I'm set to run at the track again tonight. Last week the hardest part of the experience was avoiding getting lost on the way to the track. Well, not really. There was definitely room for improvement, however, in the arriving-there-on time-and-un-lost department.


During this past week I did a couple of sweet solo runs. The first one was hills. On one especially steep part it was a pleasure to sprint off Peralta Ave. and take a quick detour via one of Berkeley's many paths.

The second run was a straight shot, out the front door onto Acton Street and down Channing, through Aquatic Park, and to the end of the Berkeley Pier and back.


Pretty straightforward (and just plain pretty, really), except for the wind coming off the SF Bay. As we say in nautical lingo, it was a lotta knots.


On my way home I stopped for the obligatory crunches at the Joseph Slusky Calliope sculpture. Do you see the moon? You had to be lying on your back to notice it.


And here's what could be called industrial sculpture. This anchor chain was once part of a landscape design near the now-defunct Berkeley Ferry terminus. Currently it lies abandoned in the grass. Who knows how old it is or what uses it's been put to over the years. Each link is about the same length as my size 9 1/2 running shoe. Big.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?