Checking Out

I believe I've titled a number of previous posts "Checking In." Well today, I'm checking out. Checking out the contents of my brain, that is.

First, I wanted to note that I went to LA (Culver City and Burbank, to be specific) over the weekend for the birthdays of my son the doctor and my granddaughter, who is the sweetest granddaughter that I (or anyone else in the world) could have.

Here's me after Dr. D and I ran up Baldwin Hill. My boy was kind enough to lope along at a pace that didn't leave me looking like something Harley and Hazel dragged in (Harley and Hazel being the resident cats in Culver City).

After the short weekend I came home for some running-related activities. First was volunteering at a water station for my club's Tilden Tough Ten race, aka the anti-Bay to Breakers.
It was freezing in Tilden Park--note the posture of my fellow volunteers. We considered snuggling up to those cows but thought the better of it.

Monday I went to the gym. I used the elliptical machine for ten minutes or so to warm up and then had the brilliant idea of throwing it into reverse just to see what that would feel like. It was kind of fun! My friend R and I were talking earlier today about change and how it is often attractive--not for what it actually can be but just because it offers the prospect of novelty. I am generally in favor of change, even when I haven't sussed out what a particular change might bring in the long run. (I digress. The backward-looping elliptical machine was a novelty of the most innocuous kind.)

Jumping right along here. I have decided to continue my vegetarian ways until April 1, 2011, which will make my experiment a year-long one. I find I am up and down and in and out and back and forth (and any other metaphors you can think of that might signal vacillation) concerning my new diet. I feel very healthy and energetic on it, but have to admit I'm nonplussed to think of never eating certain foods again. For instance. Is a brown rice and soy milk protein shake a satisfactory substitute for a grilled salmon panini? Some days yes, some days no. But the ecological implications of regularly consuming salmon are difficult for me to dismiss.

I do love my daily protein shake. The ingredients vary, depending upon what's on hand. A fish, it's not. But still, it's tasty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?