On the DL Again

These are stressful times at Running Commentary central. I don't really feel like a whine and gees session, so will try to make my update calm and descriptive. AARGH! (Who was that?)

I am out of running commission because my left knee has gone wonky for no apparent reason.
Here's how it felt toward the end of a run last week when I realized a dull ache had morphed into something obstructive. End road work, indeed. And previous to my sudden, unplanned hiatus, I'd had a great couple of running weeks.

During that time the weather was, um, interesting--a hard frost one morning made for a challenging and exhilarating run. Note the frozen grass. (I think my friend in Minnesota is laughing at me--frozen grass! Oh dear!) Not only did the grass freeze, so did the water fountain on my regular running trail. Still, the weather was not exactly Arctic, I admit.

A few days after the freeze, the skies opened up. Yes, I was at the farthest point from home during an 8-miler when the deluge came. Why do you ask? I had a good time, really. The air was mild and the rain was cleansing in the way rain is supposed to be but isn't always. I saw a couple of runners getting as wet as I was, and they were smiling too.

Tennis, anyone?

I'm trying multiple remedies for my knee. I've been doing the elliptical trainer at the gym and have been riding my trusty bike, which doesn't seem to aggravate my sore hinge. I'm icing. I'm taking ibuprofen. I'm praying. I'm buying new shoes.

Yesterday, I went swimming. It did my heart good to see all the little-old-lady bikes lined up outside the pool at 7:30 a.m. (The one in the foreground is mine. Note my swim bag--sweet, no?) A bonus from having lately spent more time at the gym was that my shoulder, which is still stiff from breaking it three years ago, felt strong when I swam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?