Summer's End

Puddles on the path!

I was awakened at 4 am when the bedroom was lit up with a flash of bright white. No, it wasn't aliens come to take me away. But it was something almost as unusual in these parts--a thunderstorm. We have gone so many consecutive days (weeks, no, months!) without rain that in my sleepy stupor I had trouble grasping what was going on. Then I started to worry about the stuff we have lying around in the backyard, a byproduct of our efforts to straighten out the garage--but when I considered running out to battle the rain in the pitch dark wearing my sensible flannel nightie, suddenly I became rational. Which is to say, I went back to sleep.

I had it on my schedule to do a longish run early, so when I awoke again at 6 am and it was raining only gently, I suited up, stuck a Clif Shot in my pocket, and headed out the door anyway. The morning turned out to be quite mild and only a little wet. I did a good, leisurely seven-and-a-half miler out the Ohlone Greenway. Didn't see a lot of other folks until I was headed back in. By then the sky was light and cars were on the streets and I was ready for breakfast. Maybe more rain on the way?

Comments

Liz said…
We heard about the thunderstorms in your area and we also got storms later in the day (or the next day). I love when we get rain here because the sage smells so nice...so thanks for sharing your storm.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?