The Comeback Trail

I set out to do the LMJS 15K at Lake Merritt last Sunday. It was a freakishly hot day, so after two laps around the lake I gave it up and settled for a 10K.

Picture me running across this finish line, a bit more "finished" than I'd planned on being.

Still, I was pleased to be running hard and have suffered no noticeable after-effects. Even when I threw in the towel, the infrastructure (muscles and bones) still felt strong--but lightheadedness and mild mental confusion gave me the message that I was overheating.
(No smart-aleck questions about and how was the latter any different from my normal state.) I am registered to run a half marathon Oct. 11 and hoping to get cooler weather that day.

In other news, Z and I went to our new gym together this morning early. It was the first time we've gone to the gym together in years--maybe three or four years, even. It felt great to see him working out and looking so healthy. He had open-heart surgery in April and has recovered with fabulosity! My next plot is to get him running again. Of course, I think everyone in the entire world should run. Well, shouldn't they?

Comments

Sunshine said…
What good news about you both.. at the gym together ... you running and knowing when to quit ... and the hope of Z running again.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?