Breakfast of Champions

What does an injured runner consume in the morning? This delicious smorgasbord of meds, of course. And coffee.

I’m exaggerating, actually. I threw the codeine container into the picture for the effect, even though I only had to take codeine twice before deciding it made me feel even more fuzzy-minded than usual.

Quick update on what condition my condition is in: I’m still in more pain than I’d like, but it diminishes slightly by the day. Tomorrow I go to physical therapy. My attitude is improving a bit, especially because Z is recovering apace from his surgical adventure, albeit in small increments.

One reason I took the above photo was to provide myself with an entry into the subject of food, a topic I promised a few weeks (or months) back to talk about in this blog. When I got hurt, more than two weeks ago, I was worried that because I’ve become used to eating a lot to fuel my running, I would continue on that course and soon balloon to the size of a Chevrolet. What a relief—so far that hasn’t happened. I’ve even lost a couple of pounds.

I realize that I'm eating now just about as I’m accustomed to eating, only in smaller amounts. I believe that my usual runner’s diet is a sound one (and it’s one I like—bonus!), so there’s little reason to change it. I try to let three principles dictate what I eat: diversity, balance, and moderation.

• Diversity means eating across as wide a spectrum of (mostly) healthful foods as I can afford and can prepare without hours of prep work.
• Balance means consciously dividing up what I eat into appropriate amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
• Moderation means not pigging out in any and all of the above three categories.

I am a grazer. I eat three small-to-medium-sized meals a day and try to have a mid-morning snack and a mid-afternoon snack as well. I don’t worry much about the number of calories in the meals, but do try to keep the snacks at a calorie count between 60 and 100. One important rule I keep 99 percent of the time is not to eat for at least two hours before I go to bed.

Stayed tuned for examples of my meals and my snacks, coming your way in a post to be composed later.

Right now I have to get ready to catch the bus that carries me on the first leg of my long journey home. Note to self: When you get able to walk again, never ever take the ability to stride speedily along in the fresh air for granted.

Comments

Sunshine said…
Everything you wrote about eating seems great.. pretty much what I do too.
One thing I would add: I always eat a little protein any time I eat.

I have joined the never never land of the injured... twisted my knee in the fall almost 2 weeks ago; and I extend to you my best wishes for healing.. most rapidly.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back