Out Thrice


Taken on the Iron Horse Trail (see below). Not sure what it is, but I think it qualifies as "urban."

I made it out three times this last week, and today (Sunday) have tried to spare my knee by taking a bike ride (look at me--cross-training, yet). This week, in honor of being in the middle of reading Coming to Our Senses, as I ran I tried to take in my surroundings with a nonjudgmental awareness. No saying "gee, that's pretty" or "yuck, look at that." In honor of my attempts at mindfulness, which were only partially successful, I have here a few images that show a real and ever-present side of urban running that's not usually apparent in the photos I take that are so dear to me
of flowers, trees, and skies .
This is a curb that runs along a parking lot I often run by. It's of interest not for its aesthetic qualities but for its status as my personal balance beam, which I've used over the months to the point that I can actually now run (not teeter) the length of it. It is one of two long curbs I run, in the interest of honing my balancing skills so I never take another hideous fall like the one I took in 2006.

This next one is just to let you know that I don't always run on bucolic trails (you knew that). My most usual route takes me by a supermarket, and the road is often clogged with delivery trucks. I just hark back (w-a-a-a-y back) to my days as a skier when my no-good friends and I would try to navigate the slalom gates that the ski area management sometimes left in place all afternoon after a morning's competition. I zip around those trucks with an easy swivel of the hips (or that's how see myself in my early-morning mind).

Moving right along here--the report for this last week shows that I ran up to King track Tuesday morning and ran some speed. I had to laugh, like I always do when I do "speed," because I labor like an Olympic sprinter just to catch up to the younger folks who are deep in their laziest jog of the week. Be that as it may, I ran 6 x 200 meters an then 1 x 400. As I loped the 1.75 miles back to the house, my body told me I'd worked. A good feeling.

Thursday I went out before dawn on the Ohlone Greenway for 6.25 miles. It was a good, energetic, peaceful time. Can't ask for more.

Here's a nice bridge on the Iron Horse Trail, where I ended up Saturday with the runners' group from my running club. I'm not showing it to you because it's urban--but because I think it's cool. Hey, it's my blog.

With Saturday's trail run my total weekly mileage came to 18. It's not 20, but I felt OK enough about it to skip running today. I can run four days a week, but my knee and also my back are a bit gimpy right now so biking seemed the most prudent alternative. It was a clear and blustery morning, so off I went, from my house out to the Pt. Isabel dog park to meet my friend R. and her pooch. The approximately 8-mile ride was a good if fairly mild workout, and seeing the dogs was a treat. We met a couple of dogs with unusual names: Fred and Ralph. Hmmm.

My ride took me past the race track. I loved these bales. Gave me some insight into why they call the ponies hay burners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?