On the Short-Term DL

Yes, that's the mural on the outside wall at the local pool. I'm off the road and back in the swim. I'm having to admit that my aching knee is more than merely a nuisance--it is injured. The tipoff has been that the pain in it hasn't lessened over the last few weeks. I'm still in denial enough that I think if I ease off running a bit and continue to wrap it, ice it, and (gently) strengthen it, I won't have to endure too much down time.

Coming out of denial means, however, that I really can't consider running the SF Half Marathon on August 3. I need to be running only short distances and only on soft surfaces. Next week I plan to swim once or twice more and do two three- to four-mile runs. We'll see how that goes.

I can't decide whether doing a hike-a-ganza Sunday with Z further exacerbated my boo-boo (the technical term for an injured knee). We did walk up and down some impressive hills, but not at a very swift pace or in an especially aggressive style. We went to Huckleberry, a location dear to my heart as it was the scene of our first date, back in 1996. Of course then we ran it together, charging, leaping, and chuffing along, both of us trying to look strong and sexy in the eyes of the other. We must have had some success, for there we were last Sunday, a little older and probably not much wiser, still together, treading the same path and still talking and laughing and hoping we looked good in each other's eyes. But, I have to admit, not charging or leaping--mainly chuffing.

Here I am, fetchingly posed among the manzanita and huckleberry shrubbery. At least we did get out and raise our heart rates a little. Between having a gimpy knee and being overbooked with work, I've been indulging in some stress eating and have put on three pounds over the last month or so.

I've decided that overeating, for me, is partially a response to living in the consumer culture. Most days when I'm walking from BART to the office in SF, usually around 11 am, I'm not even hungry. Then I'll see all the office workers on their lunch break, takeout containers and coffee drinks in hand, and I'll realize I want to buy something to consume. To consume in the most primitive way, that is, to eat. Then I pass by four Starbucks, three Subway sandwich joints, two Specialty's cafes, and a myriad of small restaurants and coffee shops, and by the time I get to work I'm feeling deprived and predatory. Heaven help me if there's free food in the break room, which there often is. I fall on it like I've found the last comestibles on earth.

If only I could spend my days out in the woods, I think I'd be a bit lighter in body and in spirit. Here's another scene from Huckleberry--did I mention that we were doing our hike on a perfect, sun-dappled day?


My favorite nephew and his wife are coming to visit next week. Wouldn't it be nice to drag them to some verdant bower like this. Here's hoping for good weather (and for the A's to beat the Angels when we all go to the game).

Have a good week, everyone.


Comments

Sunshine said…
Oh lucky you, to have favorite nephew visit! Have fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?