The Time of My Life

The title of this post doesn't really mean all my recent days have been fabulous. It's more a reminder that every week, every day, every hour, and every second are in fact the time of my life. And that time just marches on regardless of how I'd have it behave!


I saw this photo of ballet dancers in the snow in the SLC airport. Though I believe it was untitled, I call it The Time of Their Lives. 

Last time I wrote, I was feeling slightly injured and also concerned about two races I had coming up. Well--to keep it short--I've recovered, and the two races have come and gone;  they went well and were a lot of fun.





Since then I've gone on a short trip, one that was running related only in the way that all the Times of My Life are running related--but it was a very good trip, anyway. My first stop was Salt Lake City for an overninght visit with my friend Laury. Here she is in her newly tamed backyard.  

It was wonderful to get a feel for how nice SLC is; however, the best part was seeing L's beautiful house and walking with her a few miles in her green, lovely neighborhood. And her grandchildren live a block away! I miss her but am glad to see her so well settled so soon after moving.


From SLC I drove to Pocatello, Idaho, home of my sis and her husband. I've visited their town a number of times many times over the years and have even run a couple of 10Ks there.It was great to see J and her husband and also, of course, to revisit some of my old Poky running trails--and even find a new one (new to me that is). As I schlepped round and about, I felt lucky that I'd stopped before I wandered into the Red Zone. I looked around for Commies but didn't see any--so I skedaddled.

The first afternoon I was there I looked up and saw my old friend Red Hill. (Here again, no Commies to be seen, despite the name.) Looking up from the base of the hill, the top looks far away. I'd like you to think going up Red Hill is an arduous climb, but it's not. I isn't a stroll, but it's very walkable and reasonably short.


 View from below

 View from above
Just a note about how I felt running during my trip: very good! Slow, but uninjured. I'm beginning to believe I may get trained enough to run CIM in December. I ran / walked 11 miles two days ago and lived to tell the tale. This morning I dragged myself the 1.6 miles over to the middle school track and had done a modest speed workout before the first school bell rang. 

When I do a lot of running, the day after I have a little trouble navigating--I refer to the me who gets up from a chair after an hour as "the imitation of someone who can walk." For a few steps, I usually don't feel like someone who can walk, but generally I fake it till I make it.



I did walk one evening in Pocatello and found myself in a favorite Poky place: the cemetery. As cemeteries go, it is a beauty. In it you'll find many, many large trees, and an abundance of tasteful and well-thought-out gravestones with dates ranging from the 18th to the 21st century. 


Cemeteries can evoke strong emotions and deep thoughts, but I have to say I felt only two things: one, love for all of those around me who were under the ground, and two, an appreciation for the fact that I am still above the ground. I know that at my age the Time of My Life when I'll join all those silent folks can't be very far in the feature. But for now I'll embrace this Time of My Life, and keep on running. I hope you'll do the same.

P.S. For those looking for an update on my nascent novel-writing career, here it is: I am writing by fits and starts right now. I've missed two deadlines, but have very much not given up!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?