Slow Zone IV



Another Slow Zone run this morning. I spent most of it being thankful for the trail that has gradually, finally been extended almost to my doorstep. A slow-zone run is the perfect time to appreciate this trail and all other urban trails--they are corridors of health and safety that invite even the naturally indolent to venture out, to come and explore.

I've run this particular trail so many times that the notion of "exploring" and finding something new may be some kind of pipe dream, except--when I get in slow-zone mode I really do always see something I've never seen before, be it a plant, a human, or even (and I really did see this once) three raccoons perched one on top of another, totem-pole style, in a tall, skinny tree.


This morning was about the wonderful September air and and about the clouds. I do love the Sunday stillness and, thanks to the wonderful folks who created this trail, I can get into that stillness with very little effort. 

I always press the button to activate the crosswalk flasher, even when there's no one around except me. It makes me feel like queen of the road.

Today's slow-zone run was a pleasure. Doing one of these a week for four weeks has been fun. The guidelines have been emerging (there are no rules in slow zoning, only guidelines): Go at least 3 miles, but no GPS allowed. No turning on the chronograph. Walking permitted as whim dictates. Picking up trash acceptable but not mandatory. Ditto picture-taking. Breathe. Be grateful for the gift of motion!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?