Tempo: Upbeat and Lively

This morning I did a tempo run--probably the first intentional one that I've ever done. Yes, I've  run medium to long distances at a pace slightly faster than my usual training pace, but have never actually set out to run a specific distance at a specific pace just a little under my targeted race pace.

My targeted race is the Marin Memorial 10K, slated for Memorial Day. I've been wondering whether I am in good enough shape to run it at a reasonable pace and maybe even to run it pain-free. I decided today was the day to test myself. I figured a targeted race pace for a 10K that wouldn't have me hanging my head in shame when it was over should be around 10:30. So for this morning I figured out a good road course where I could run 6.2 consecutive miles, a course fairly straight and flat with few stoplights or other obstructions along the way. 

To simulate race day, first I did a slow 1-mile warm-up. Then, at the sound of the gun (in my head--BANG!), I started my run. By watching my Garmin I managed to keep a more or less steady pace of between 10:45 and 11:00. I did a mini-break of 30 fast footsteps every mile--this a concession to my hips and butt, which these days frequently whisper in my ear the tale of their pain. (Do not try to picture the logistics of these body parts communicating.) 

Even with these planned breaks I was able to move along consistently and without much discomfort. I was afraid by mile 6 I would be tapped out, but that wasn't the case--even had a little left for a small finishing kick. 

After my run, I did a quarter-mile cool-down jog and then stopped in this corner of our neighborhood tot lot and did some crunches and dips. Then I walked on home, smiling. Breakfast awaited!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back