Southern Comfort


I was here.

It's been so long since I posted that there's no point in trying to summarize much more than my last run, which was yesterday.

The morning was warm, even before the sun rose up like a Fresnel spot (Tinseltown metaphor there). I didn't bring my foam roller on this trip, but even without any daily holy rolling, my cranky hip/It/etc. are feeling okay. 

Also I was here.

Funny, that's about it. Yesterday, the day of my UCLA run, was also my 66th birthday. I felt soooo blessed to be mindlessly knocking off 4.25 miles before breakfast. I am not fast. I am not particularly buffed. Nevertheless, I am a runner and have been one for 34 years. 

When I was younger--in my 40s, maybe?--I would spend some time on my birthday reviewing the previous year and looking ahead to the year to come. What had been the high and low points from the just-passed 365 days? And what would I like to see take place in the 365 ahead?

But now, it's just, beautiful day today. Family well? Check. Body moving with relative ease? Check. Oatmeal Squares and fresh strawberries on the breakfast menu? Check. Lord, life is good. 

Things have gotten simpler, that's all I'm saying. I think I would love being old if it weren't for the whole dying thing, and even that doesn't raise the storm in my mind that it used to. I "retired" recently, and since I did I've been doing contract work nonstop. That doesn't even press my indignation button, whose location I believe I may have forgotten. Think it's near my belly button, but can't be sure anymore. Maybe the point of all this (point?) is that I can't be sure about too many things anymore, so I might as well enjoy that which is within my actual and metaphorical grasp. Mainly, that would be this day at hand.

Keep on running, you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?