Off the Top of My Head

Or should I say, poured out from the top of my head. I have this mental image of slicing off the top of my cabesa, like I'd do to a pumpkin, and then tilting the newly opened bowl and spilling a few of my chaotic thoughts onto the page.


First would come musings about the shortening of the days and the advent of autumn. In the Bay Area we mostly get some scraggly leaves scuttling along the sidewalks, and some corresponding moulting branches overhead. No spectacular fall foliage to be seen here, so move along, please.


Then I'd shake out a few words about how it feels to do a lot of my running in the pre-dawn dark these days. I'm training for my tenth and final marathon, CIM, which means I'm racking up as many miles as I can before I just run screaming out of the house. Although, come to think of it, the screaming part of that could be upsetting, but the running part might help boost my weekly mileage.

Anyway. I was up early one day last week, putting the shoe rubber to the road before I was even awake. When I came to I was doing some crunches in front of the Haas Business School at Cal. Getting up there, and then to Northside and beyond, seemed fine in my sleep-addled state but not quite so fine the rest of the day as I yawned my way through the deathless advertising prose that I love looking at. And in these times of economic uncertainty, I certainly don't under-appreciate that same deathless prose.


Finally, I'd spill out some lines describing the solitude of the El Cerrito High football field on a Sunday morning. My run today took me there--I felt right at home amidst a gaggle of geese, being something of a silly goose myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?