Quick One

Sometimes when I've done a number of runs without blogging in between them, I'm left with a phone-camera full of photos and nowhere to put them. I'm currently wrestling with my Flickr account to let me in, but I don't think anyone really goes there anyway, so I don't care that much whether I post there.

Anyway. I have done five good runs since the last time I wrote here. One was the marathon training group's final long run before the race, a 20-miler that covered a lot of the marathon course. The two after that took place in Phoenix, when I was there for Spring Training (go A's)--a couple of 4-milers. After that came a 12-miler down by the Berkeley marina, a run in which I did some run-walking and had a surprisingly great time. The final run was this last Saturday. It was an 8-miler with the marathon training group, a careening, sloppy rain-fest that, oddly enough, was enjoyed by all (including me).



Here are some brilliant runners, members of the Oakland Running Festival group, who joined the LMJS Saturday regulars two weeks ago. Here we were near the figurative and literal peak of our rainy 20-miler.



This is a Phoenix canal, seen on one of my two short runs in the desert, looking a little blurry in the low, pre-dawn light.



And from my leisurely 12-miler, here's the San Francisco Bay as it looked from the Berkeley side--like a lake.





And here are a couple more from bayside. That day, my mind was more on seeing than on running. It happens, and when it does, I just let it.

* * * *



The final of my five recent runs, the rainy 8-miler last Saturday, was for me the opposite experience of the bayside run. I was VERY focused on running, it being the last group run before the marathon, which is this coming Sunday. I was so focused, so energized that when we got back to where we'd started, I was shocked to realize I hadn't taken a single photo.

Final thought for this post: Today is the Monday before the big day. I feel as if I'm getting a cold. That makes me laugh--it is guaranteed that a runner coming up on a big race will feel like she's getting sick. All I can do is rest a lot, drink a lot of fluids, remain calm, and scream hysterically if I really do get sick. After all, I'm a rational being.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?