Will You Still Need Me, Will You Still Feed Me...

...when I'm 64...which I am this very day!

Drove up to Santa Rosa this morning with four of my teammates to run the 18th Annual Phil Widener Empire Open, a PAUSATF cross-country race. (Below is a photo of the men's Masters start--couldn't take a picture of the women's Open start because I was too busy starting!)


I had a wonderful time today. Driving my little Honda full of chattering women to Santa Rosa, racing with them (they sang Happy Birthday to me when I crossed the finish line), and having breakfast afterward at the Cafe Azul made my day. It reminded me of being in high school and tooling around in my parents' car with all my girlfriends, everybody talking at once, our happy energy fizzing and sparking until the whole car glowed.

I came across a couple of lovely sentences yesterday when I was finishing up A Three Dog Life, by Abigail Thomas: "The past is not as interesting to me now as it was when I was young.... There's nothing I want to relive--certainly not youth--and as for what's to come, I'm in no hurry."

I can't say I always have the feeling these sentences describe, but for today they are accurate. I was perfectly happy this morning being exactly where I am in my life, neither regretting what's been lost nor longing for what might come. Who could ask for a better birthday present than that?

Comments

Liz said…
Happy Birthday! I'm glad to hear you've had such a wonderful day and I wish you many more to come.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?