Hold On Here

It just struck me how odd it is to use the expression "hold on" when really what I'm trying to say to myself is "let go." Let go of all that's gone on in my life since last I posted. Let go of that urgent feeling that I have to relate everything that's happened in my running life and the rest of my life (if the two are in fact separate). I call it the James Boswell syndrome, naming it after the 18th-century biographer of Samuel Johnson. I fell in love with Boswell during my college years--not for his biographical skills but for his addiction to recording every possible detail, the tedious along with the interesting, about his own life. (His London Journal is a good starting place for anyone interested in his autobiographical oeuvre.)

So. What's been going on with me and isn't so soporific that it could be marketed as the new Ambien? Work, a lot of it. (That's my excuse for not posting.) But other than that, plenty of fun and quite a bit of running.

I went to Phoenix with Z, my two favorite sons, my favorite nephew, my favorite niece-in-law, and my favorite fiancee of my son the doctor. It was the 25th anniversary edition of the Annual Merrill A's Spring Training Excursion. Yep. Our first trip was in 1985, when my favorite sons were aged 14 and 10.

Here they are as they look today. Only a little bit older, but a LOT wiser (I think).

And here's my favorite nephew (far left), along with Z and my favorite oldest son.

And here's Z and my son the doctor trying to keep up with me on a morning run in Papago Park as I leave them in the dust (yeah, right). These and a few other Arizona photos are on my Flickr page.

On the Saturday after our Arizona trip, I went on a 11.5-miler to assess my readiness for running the Oakland Running Festival Half Marathon, on March 28 (next week! argh!). The run went well (see photo for the exciting urban dead end where I turned around on that out-and-back run).
I was so pumped up that I came home, went online, and signed right up for the race.

By nightfall I had a cold; by the next day I was so tired I could barely move. Then Monday I worked late at my job in San Francisco and didn't get to bed until after 3 am. You get the picture. I was one tired puppy (or old dog, if you will).

By Wednesday I was feeling as if I might live after all and so went out early for a four-miler. Daylight Saving is upon us, so for the first part of my journey I had to identify the wonderful blossoming cherry trees along my route by smell. When I stopped for my obligatory crunches, as I lay on my back I could see a cloud of pale flowers etched against the clear dawn sky. Heaven!

So now it's Friday. My cold is practically gone, Danny Mo is on the bed (warning: cat photo ahead), and I'm resigning myself to having failed to recount every little thing that's happened in my life over the last three weeks. May we all enjoy this blessed time of year, and may we be as peaceful as a warm cat.

Comments

Gorgeous Nerd said…
Oh yay, I was looking forward to your Arizona post. Excellent work, as always. (I just wish I had something more interesting to add!)
Sunshine said…
Your life is rich and full!!

Sweet Pea thanks you for the dear kitty picture.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?