It's a Jungle Out There

A very warm day. Like a summer's day elsewhere in this country, but a perfect Bay Area fall day (read: no fog). Upon awaking this morning I decided I was bored with my same ol', same ol'. So I headed up the hill, which in Berkeley can really mean up. I zigzagged up to the UC campus, running slow but steady. Zigged north, ducked under some trees and took a path into the groves of academe. This, keep in mind, was Sunday morning around 6:30. Peace wasn't a temporary condition resulting from a lack of traffic, rather, it was the world itself. Birds. Air. Silence. Me.

I dipped my head as I ran by the Campanile, paying it the obligatory homage that is every landmark's due. I made my way east, puffing as I scaled stairs and pounded vertical pavement. Finally I was there--at the track above Clark Kerr Campus. The track was still in shadow, but from its western rim I could see all of Berkeley and all of the the Bay spread out below me and already basking in the dawn's early light.

I did six laps, four of them rather fast (for me). Three other runners appeared briefly and then fled--am hoping it wasn't something I said. As I finished lap six, I felt an ominous pull in my right groin muscle. Being a sensible sort, I ignored it, and headed back down the hill.

When I arrived home, I looked at the jungle (see title--it took me long enough to get here, no?) that is attempting to devour the north side of our house. I resolved to spend an hour clipping blackberry vines. It seemed like it would be a good cool-down and also a way to keep the neighbors from acting out any homicidal urges that might be induced by contemplating carnivorous thorn bushes moving onto their property by visible leaps and bounds.

I did spend an hour and ten minutes fighting the berry vines. The air rang with the sounds of battle! Blood was shed! I crawled on my belly through the ranks of the enemy and emerged the victor! Sadly, neither of these last two claims is true, but sometimes I think life is all about the stories.

What I did emerge with was a) the flowers (above) and b) a few rather bedraggled, hard-won berries (below left).
I think I still had a bit of the old runner's high going, because I found myself thinking that the nefarious blackberry plant was a lot like some people I've known--that is, prickly and overly aggressive, defensive beyond what's called for, yet harboring the sweetness that underlies all life. Uncovering this sweetness can take a little effort, an effort that's well repaid.

I spent the rest of my day moving among three activities--proofreading (yeah, working), grazing (yeah, eating), and dipping in and out of the Sunday papers (yeah, goofing off).

During that last activity I was thrilled to come across a story that featured a book I edited and also a photo of the book's author, my old friend and colleague Tom Downs. Tom is a mesmerizing writer, and I can honestly say editing his book was the easiest job I've ever had in the course of my publishing career. I dare you to read his guide without deciding to drop everything you're doing and go for a ramble in SF.

Eventually the sun, which had a number of hours ago come up, did what it does (and glad I am of it--so nice that the night-follows-day thing can pretty be much relied on), and went down. There was nothing to be done after a day such as this except to have French toast for dinner. So Z and I did just that. We did it, and I'm glad. So there!

And the A's beat the Tigers, too. In ten innings.


Comments

Sunshine said…
Thanks for being there!
I risk being gushy here, but your writing is uniquely delightful. Every paragraph embraces at least one turn of the phrase that surprises or delights. I know it is what you do... but oh! you write well. How is that ignored pulled muscle?
Lovely pictures, too.
Thanks for writing.
Sunshine said…
Once you indicated to me that only your nephew... and no one else... read your blog.
If you would like more action, it might be helpful to make it easier to comment.
I left a comment last week .. but later it disappeared.
Keep up the great running.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?