A Quick One (Like Me!)

No photo, no ruminative introduction.

This morning I ran "speed." It goes in quotes because for me, slow is the new fast. What has me excited is that I did my usual five-mile route, which I normally cover in about an hour, in 53:25:36. Wow. Speed-of-sound records, here I come.

One result of my new walking commute is that I've dropped a couple of pounds. Maybe that makes it easier for my cranky muscles to propel me over the ground.

Apropos of nothing in particular, yesterday I finished Dalai Lama, My Son, an as-told-to memoir by Diki Tsering. This does relate to running, in a way--almost everything I read gets dissected by my running brain. Today I was thinking about the part of the book where the DL's ma described a power struggle that took place within the Tibetan government (this was before the Chinese occupation). It was textbook palace intrigue, complete with backstabbers, bribes, unexplained disappearances, shifting alliances, an attempted coup--the whole deal. I have an idealized notion of the practitioners of Buddhism, and I admit I was shocked to learn of a whole highly placed group of them behaving in such a, well, human and predictable way.

Too much fun, this going to the library and browsing through the biography section and selecting something to read--often basing my choice on the size of the book as well as the subject, because I have to carry whatever I select around in a shoulder bag every day.

Got to run (figuratively at this point, but run, nevertheless). Y'all have a great day. If you feel tempted at any time to stage a coup that might weaken the current monarchy, there are some of us who might step into our Sauconys and just go for a run while you're doing it. Officer, we'd have stopped them, but we were busy. We were running, y'know?

Comments

Sunshine said…
You, your blog, your new job, your last paragraph (!).. all truly amazing.
Sunshine said…
Congratulations on everything! Your blog is attractive, your posts delightfully interesting. What great news about the job and the running. You go!
Blessings.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?