As Grow All Living Things. . .

. . . so grow I. About four weeks ago I was doing my pre-run calf stretch, leaning against the neighbor's fence, when I noticed a small wisteria twining up the side of the house. It was pale and almost leafless and exhibited a few dessicated, droopy buds scattered the length of the vine. If I thought anything at all, it was that this was one poor-looking, almost-dead plant.

After that day I didn't run for a couple of days--and then I went out of town for five more days. The day after I returned I went for an early morning run. As I absent-mindedly stretched at the fence, I was suddenly snapped awake by the visual feast before me. The "dead" wisteria was lush, green, and loaded with hanging clumps of purple blossoms that fairly vibrated with life.

This morning I went for my first post-marathon run. At the fence I observed the wisteria, which is now fully green but mostly blossom-less. In the same way I know my own name, I know that all that lives rises up and then falls away--over and over again. And aren't I glad.

I was fatigued as I ran, but didn't experience any signs of injury. I still don't have the answer to "What's next?" but can't imagine whatever it is not including running. In times that I forget that I am something that lives (me and all the plants and animals in the world), running is what brings me back to that basic fact. I can't imagine being without it.


Comments

Sunshine said…
Enjoying your blog, as we also enjoyed pasta dinner with you. Thanks for commenting on our trip pictures.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Where's Elizabeth West?