Spring Morning in Berkeley

Today was the first really normal-feeling run I've had since the marathon, which was two weeks ago tomorrow. I skipped the club fun run in order to head out on my favorite Berkeley streets and paths, knowing on some deep level that to shake any lingering post-event depression I needed to get back to the familiar.


The sun peeked over the hill, painting the swing set with light just as I ran through the playground behind Live Oak school.

This run was no big deal--I decided to do a little hill running and then some fartlek on the flats. So I ran from the house, leaving just after 6 am, and down to the Ohlone Greenway. I cut east and ran up Peralta to Sonoma, from Sonoma on Tulare and over to Marin, up to Colusa, then over to Solano and back to the Greenway, where I did some fast-slow playing around, stopped for some high push-ups (that creaking sound you heard all the way over at your house was my arms attempting to lift my body up!) and a few crunches. Toward the end I ran into Kate and Lu, my running heroes (two of many). Lu is helping Kate prepare for Boston, where I fully expect Kate to sweep her age group, despite her own belief that she'll stink up all of Beantown. The three of us agreed that it was a lovely morning.



Spring means buds bent on becoming flowers push up through the dirt and turn toward the sun in their eagerness to bloom.

That's it! A blessedly normal run, a fine shot of endorphins with a coffee chaser, and life is good. Running today, performing this fairly simple affirmation of my own vitality, I spent some time honoring three of my friends who have passed away in recent weeks. Three strong men, all victims of various illnesses. They all led worthy and energetic lives, and they all died with dignity. May I emulate their fortitude and grace, both while I live and when I die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back