ZZZZZZZZZ

The above title refers to my recent rediscovery of the secret of life: SLEEP. I say rediscovery because periodically I accidentally sleep enough and realize how happy it makes me--good natured, even. My current appreciation of slumber started week before last, when I did only one mid-week run and a little swimming and devoted the remaining early-morning hours to sleeping. To my surprise, suddenly my appetite was sharper, my job less onerous, my spouse even handsomer than usual! All this happiness made me greedy for more happiness, so I've continued the practice of getting enough sleep right up through this week. Wow.

All this is not to say I've been a total slug. I met at my overpriced gym with a trainer for a free assessment and then again for a 50-minute customized workout. Whew--hard. Who knew I could do a plank (with leg lifts!) on an instability ball for a whole minute (that may not be the exact name for the ball, but I call 'em as I experience 'em). I have also swum twice. ("Swum" looks funny, but it is, in fact, the past participle of "swim." You could look it up--I did.)

And Tuesday, I showed up at the track for a the weekly LMJS speed workout. I was able to leave work early, and when I got to the track I was the first one there.

The field was dark, bordering on pitch black.

Because our group had run in the dark during the holiday break--and had a great time!--I just figured we'd do it again. Imagine my surprise when at 6 pm sharp, the lights sprang to life and the whole arena immediately populated, like a broadway stage when the curtain comes up.

We did a good workout. I was pleased to run with a couple of people about my speed. They inspired me to stay through the very end of the session, which consisted as usual of some agility drills on the "grass" part of the field. I completed all the drills without falling on my face, which I found kind of amazing.

So, feeling pretty rested, and having a couple of swims, a workout, and my speed night under my belt, I'm ready to go home and sleep seriously tonight in preparation for the training group's 16-miler tomorrow. Getting serious sleep is a challenge I'm willing to meet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to Make Lemonade

By the Numbers

Out & Back